Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Godfather




1. Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.


                                 For the final film in our class, we watched the Godather. Already an American classic on paper, the film was adapted by the popular novel of the same name. Directed by Francis Frod Coppola, the film was filled by an iconic cast led by Marlon Brando, of the screen's biggest names, and followed was the future of Hollywood, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, James Caan, and Diane Keaton. The films tells the story of a crime family during the 40's and events that followed, that would change the family forever. Again, we talked about the film's characters being anti-heroes, and that despite how bad they are, we still love them and root for them throughout the film. By many as THE greatest film of all time and the winner of 3 Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Director for Coppola, and Best Actor for Brando.

2. Find a related article and summarize the content.


                                    The image of the mafia as been around for over 100 years. During the time of prohibition, gangsters were well known and well feared. It was in the 20's and the 30's where organized ruled with an iron fist. Figures like Al Capone and Lucky Luciano are what inspired the gangster films of the 30's, 40's, and so on. Films like Scarface, the 1932 version, The Public Enemy, and Little Caesar have all been inspired by those gangsters. The mob movies we know of now, like the Godfather and Goodfellas, and even television, The Sopranos, have been inspired by the real criminals of the 20th century.  


http://www.history.com/topics/the-godfather-and-the-mafia-in-popular-culture

3. Apply the article to the film screened in class.

                                    The criminals of that era took advantage of their surroundings. Prohibition was a dream because it would allow them to finance in liquor and to move it around the country, without being discovered, although some were founded out. It all went downhill when prohibition was abolished, the business was destroyed. These criminals and the ones that came after, inspired the criminals on screen.


4. Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion, formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article.


                                     After watching it, I wanted to watch it again. I thought The Godfather was an incredible film to watch, and it was my first time watching it as well. Many say Citizen Kane is the greatest film of all time, but I don't think so and have seen that film. The Godfather is, to me, the greatest film ever seen.

CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM

1) ( x ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.

2) ( x ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.

3) ( x ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.

4) ( x ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.

5) ( x ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.

6) ( x ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.

7) ( x ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.

8) ( x ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: Brian Meyers   Date: 5/8/13 



 
                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment